- The Nevada Women’s Film Festival is holding a panel discussion tonight entitled “The Future of Story”, where attendees can hear about the latest trends in Film, TV, Web Series and Animation. There are also opportunities to pitch your project! The event will occur tonight, Monday August 1st from 8-10 at the Green Valley Ranch Resort in Henderson. Tickets are $30.
- If you prefer music over film our friend Joey Hines is performing again tonight at 9 along with Lil Lavedy, Vylent Hands, Semi-Aquatic Anthropoids at Boomer’s Bar. If you missed him last week, have no fear.
- This Saturday, August 6th from 1-6pm local favorites The All Togethers will bring their unique style of “Hillbilly Jazz” to the Saddle N Spurs Saloon for a special video filming and live audio recording for their upcoming album. Word on the street is that Lagunitas Brewing Co will be on hand with free booze. Bring a camera, a friend, and a musical instrument if you like and be part of something special.
- This Friday, August 5th you can check out Siana King play country, rock, and pop at Pancho’s in Downtown Summerlin. Siana is a rising star in the Vegas music scene and her manager is our friend Mark Smith, a local attorney who is also a member of the State Bar of Nevada’s Entertainment Law Section. Grab some margaritas and enjoy the music!
- In a bit of sad news, the Las Vegas Review Journal reports that several live-music shows in Las Vegas casinos will be closing soon. Of note, the Las Vegas Musicians Union is down to just two ongoing shows: “Million Dollar Quartet” at Harrah’s and Donny & Marie Osmond at the Flamingo. Is live music going the way of the dodo as a form of entertainment? LET’S HOPE NOT! Go out and see a show this week.
- The papers have been abuzz for months about the possibility of the Oakland Raiders moving to Las Vegas. Here in Vegas we know not to believe anything until it’s a “done deal” (we’re getting a soccer team, right?), so I’m curious what your thoughts are. Do you think the Raiders should move here? If so where would you like the stadium to be located? How much, if any, of our tax money should go to this? Finally, if the Raiders move here would you like to see them change their name and logo? Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and suggestions in the comments or at email@example.com.
- Finally, if the July and August heat in Las Vegas is getting to you, now is probably a good time to start making plans to attend the San Diego Film Festival, September 28-October 2, 2016. An easy was to spot the Las Vegas attendees-look for the only people in Southern California wearing winter coats 🙂
- UPDATE: Local singer-songwriter Cameron Calloway will be playing a FREE SHOW this Wednesday night, August 3rd at The Griffin along with Haunted Summer. The show is presented by Bad Moon Booking. According to Cameron, this is one of his last shows before he moves to New York. If you haven’t heard Cameron’s music you are missing out, he is an incredible local talent and it sounds like he is going to try his luck in the Big Apple. Best of luck! Check out his track “Extraordinary” at http://www.cameroncalloway.com/, and go see him this Wednesday so you can tell all your friends you saw him play live in some small bar in Vegas “way back when”.